Aspengrove School is an independent co-educational day school, located in Nanaimo, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island. We are an International Baccalaureate Continuum school that serves students from pre-K to grade 12. As a small school with a dedicated faculty and staff, we provide an excellent learning and teaching environment that is collaborative and innovative. Aspengrove School is a place where students and teachers work together to explore the opportunities of the IB curriculum and their passions as learners and members of a strong community. Our teachers believe that at Aspengrove “they have the freedom to make decisions around creativity and innovation, and they have an influence on the growth of the school.” They describe their students as “responsive to the demands of intellectual rigor and opportunities for powerful learning.” Aspengrove is a great place to teach and learn.
Aspengrove School is inviting applications from passionate, enthusiastic and experienced educators for the position of English Language Learner Coordinator (ELL Coordinator). The ELL Coordinator works directly with the Director of Academics to support student success in language acquisition from K-12.
This is a 1.0 FTE position that will include some teaching responsibilities. The position commences August 15, 2019.
- BC Teacher Certificate
- TESL Certified (or other equivalent ELL certification)
- Advanced degree an asset
- IB training/experience an asset
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience
- Serve as a resource to classroom teachers to help ELL students achieve academically in the classroom.
- Use language teaching strategies to increase English proficiency for students who speak a language other than English at home.
- Advocate for the needs of the ELL students.
- Evaluate the language needs of students whose families speak a language other than English at home and recommend appropriate language support.
- Administer tests and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating students’ language ability
- Maintain accurate ELL cumulative files
- Communicate language needs and progress of the ELL students with classroom teachers, administrators and families.
- Create individual language goals for students who require language support.
- Support students to achieve both the BC Ministry and IB learning outcomes.
- Complete student reports and communicate progress to parents, teachers and students.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills.
- Exemplary organizational and time management skills.
- Strong collaborative and problem solving skills
- Ability to modify instruction to meet student needs,
- Ability to cooperate with school faculty and administration in the development and implementation of an articulated program of instruction,
- Ability to work effectively with students, parents, and guardians, staff members, and community representatives to provide an ELL Program;
- Ability to understand the physical, intellectual, social, and emotional patterns of students and student learning.
- Culturally literate.
- Current in technology integration and differentiated instruction
Please send your resume, cover letter and the names of two references to: Jenny Christenson, firstname.lastname@example.org, by Monday, April 1, 2019.