Aspengrove School is inviting applications from passionate, enthusiastic and experienced educators for the position of Middle and Senior Social Studies teacher. This is a .8 FTE position starting August 16, 2019.
An independent co-educational day school, Aspengrove is located in Nanaimo, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island. We are an International Baccalaureate Continuum school that serves students from pre-K to grade 12. As a small school with a dedicated faculty and staff, we provide an excellent learning and teaching environment that is collaborative and innovative. Aspengrove School is a place where students and teachers work together to explore the opportunities of the IB curriculum and their passions as learners and members of a strong community. Our teachers believe that at Aspengrove “they have the freedom to make decisions around creativity and innovation, and they have an influence on the growth of the school.” They describe their students as “responsive to the demands of intellectual rigor and opportunities for powerful learning.”
Our 40 acre rural-suburban campus setting affords rich opportunities for students and teachers to engage in a meaningful learning journey. The successful candidate will be interested in working with a community of committed educators.
- BC Teaching Certificate;
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus in History;
- IB experience an asset;
- Advanced degree an asset.
Desired Qualities and Competencies
- Understanding of current educational practices in differentiated instruction;
- Strong communication, teamwork and instructional skills;
- A record of encouraging, nurturing, and supporting students’ love of learning;
- Collaborative orientation;
- Current in technology integration;
- Ability to map curriculum in collaboration with colleagues;
- Experience with IB curriculum, delivery and assessment.
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Assistant Head, Middle and Senior Divisions, the candidate will:
- Prepare for, teach, support and supervise students;
- Provide student feedback on progress in the form of assessments, reporting and conferencing;
- Participate in the co-curricular programs;
- Attend all required meetings and professional development activities;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues;
- Deliver the required curriculum;
- Remain current and knowledgeable in best practices for educational instruction, technology integration, and differentiated delivery models.
Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter and two references in one document (MS Word or PDF) to Jenny Christenson email@example.com by July 26, 2019.