Aspengrove School is an independent co-educational day school, located in Nanaimo, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island. We are an International Baccalaureate Continuum school that serves students from pre-K to grade 12. As a small school with a dedicated faculty and staff, we provide an excellent learning and teaching environment that is collaborative and innovative. Aspengrove School is a place where students and teachers work together to explore the opportunities of the IB curriculum and their passions as learners and members of a strong community. Our teachers believe that at Aspengrove “they have the freedom to make decisions around creativity and innovation, and they have an influence on the growth of the school.” They describe their students as “responsive to the demands of intellectual rigor and opportunities for powerful learning.” Aspengrove is a great place to teach and learn.
Aspengrove School is inviting applications from passionate, enthusiastic and experienced educators for the position of Middle Years Program (MYP) Coordinator. The MYP Coordinator is a member of the Academic Leadership Team and works directly with the Primary Years and Diploma Program Coordinators as well as the Director of Academics to lead teaching and learning at Aspengrove School.
This is a 1.0 FTE position that will include some teaching responsibilities. The position commences August 15, 2019.
- BC Teacher Certificate
- IB Trained in the Middle Years Program
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience
- Experience in a leadership role
- Advanced degree an asset
Desired Attributes and Skills:
- Strong leadership ability
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Strong collaborative and problem solving skills
- Current in technology integration and differentiated instruction
- Experience with IB curriculum, delivery and assessment
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Demonstrated competence in organization and time management
- A record of leading curriculum implementation and change
The MYP Coordinator is responsible for:
- The development, leadership and implementation of the MYP (including the Personal Project and Action) in grades 6-10;
- Providing pedagogical leadership in areas such as curriculum content, scope and sequence, assessment and evaluation in the MYP;
- Working directly with the Director of Academics and the PYP and DP Coordinators to ensure continuum learning and program development;
- Working with the Assistant Head, MYP/DP, on matters pertaining to student support;
- Planning and leading meetings for MYP teachers
- Working with teachers to ensure they understand the curriculum and assessment requirements of the MYP and to communicate any curricular changes or expectations;
- Working with teachers to support curriculum documentation using ManageBac;
- Working with teachers to ensure alignment with the BC curriculum as well as meeting all IB required outcomes;
- Teaching within the Middle Years Program;
Please send your resume, cover letter and the names of two references to: Jenny Christenson, firstname.lastname@example.org, by Monday, April 1, 2019.